Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Sept 15 Donetsk Picture Tour

After our visit today, our driver Roman took us on a little sightseeing tour of downtown Donetsk. All of the photos I took were from the car and on the move usually, so the quality isn't the greatest and I don't have captions for most of them as I didn't take any notes as we were going.

Our driver, Roman. It was his idea to "be like a tourist" today, which turned out to be a fun ride. Roman is the best (safest) driver we've had yet, and we get along really well. We both crack up when an idiot driver or pedestrain walks right in front of us and one of us exclaims "Crazy!"
Another thing we do together lately when Roman makes a good move in traffic is pump our right arms with a fist and go "yessssss" (ala Napoleon Dynamite).


The one on the left is the Donbass Palace Hotel, it was pretty impressive. Not sure what the building below is.











This is the opera building, it looks immaculate and beautiful with it's yellowish paint.








It's not every day you see a statue of Lenin. I'm going to try and get back to it later to get a better shot.









A McDonald's close to our hotel, woohoo! Their Chicken Nuggets aren't very good, but the burgers and fries are just like back home. :)









And back to our humble abode at the Atlas Hotel:

2 comments:

Unknown said...

JoEllen and John, stay patient. I can't give you a lot of advice. Right now, probably bribery works best! They just need a lot of love and encouragement. You will need a lot of hair color to cover up the gray! Take care. I miss you and can't wait to see you and the children. Judy S

Anonymous said...

FYC(consideration) - I remember seeing a 1st or 2nd Grade Class out on an adventure at a library. The Teacher led the group, holding a brightly colored rope with hand grip loops every 2-3 feet. The kids held onto the handgrips, and a volunteer Mom was holding the end of the rope. They all marched thru the library looking and pointing, but all held onto one loop as they went. Valla might be the wild card, but John needs to be at the end to give chase. (Of course of the loop could be clipped to the coat or shirt; it would be easier to control- hint, hint!)

PS: In Seoul Korea's Incheon Airport, I often saw parents using the doggie leash system with a reel on one end and a kid's harness on the other. Reeled the kid in if they got too far away.