I've been collecting a few photos to put together a visual tour of The Atlas Hotel where we are staying, we will have been here 2 weeks as of tomorrow. I've used some of these photos elsewhere, but repeated them here for your convenience.
The front desk in the main lobby.
This is the lounge, which is usually hopping in the evenings, especially Fridays. During the day we use it as our own personal library to curl up in the cushy chairs or couches with a book and a drink, or to make blog posts, check email, or just surf the Internet.
JoEllen waits for our cab at the front entrance, our daily morning routine around 9:30.
The hallway in our small room, leading to the bedroom shown below (yah, there's not much to it). They say it's a Kingsize bed, but I know it's a Queen, and a hard one at that. We try not to spend too much time in the bedroom, it's just too cramped, although it is modern and clean.
An interesting feature/bug of the rooms are the keys to get in. You have a regular key, but on the keychain is a thick cardkey thingy that you have to slip into a slot in your hallway for all the power for the room to come on. An interesting energy-saving device, but it's usually just a pain in the butt if one of us wants to go out and the other stays in (you only get 1 key).
On the left is the breakfast buffet that we look forward to every morning. They have cereal, fruit, eggs, sausage, smoked turkey and ham, and coffee and all kinds of juices. Below is the dining room.
For dinner, borscht is one of Jo's favorite dishes on the menu.
Here's one of my dinner favorites, Grilled Chicken Steak and mashed taters...mmmmmm! Every dish they serve here looks just too pretty to eat. Also, it's really inexpensive for the quality of food (average dinner for 2 around $27 w/tip).One funny thing about the hotel is the music they play over the intercom. It's almost all 70s disco or 80s MTV hits, but remakes of the originals to sound like elevator music, and in English. It's really weird to hear "Like A Virgin", "Freak Out", and "I Will Survive" converted to piano bar style music. :-) They have flatscreen TVs everywhere, and you can usually count on them being tuned to a soccer game or more often than not, a fashion show of some sort.
6 comments:
Are you going to know how to eat regular looking food when you get home? You're going to be totally spoiled with those fancy dishes you have gotten used to! :)
Thanks for the pictures though! It is fun to see other places and be able to picture where you guys are at.
Another bright sun shiny day in Lee's Summit!
Kristy
PS Hope JoEllen is feeling better.
I thought it was pretty funny you are in a foreign country thousands of miles away and the television programming still stinks as bad as it does here!
Take it easy!
Actually we are doing OK on the TV viewing Rob. Jo downloaded the TV series "Eureka", plus new episodes of Bones and Chuck are out so we just watched those as well. As a special treat, JoEllen found the entire first season of Hercules and downloaded that as well for $12 (we were big Herc and Xena fans a decade ago), so we aren't hurting for entertainment. Gotta run, we have another Eureka to get through! :)
Hey John and JoEllen!! Although I have been silent, please know I have followed your journey from the very first day! Thank you for blessing us here at home with the opportunity to join beside you in this most amazing adventure of your life! It's obvious God's Hand has been felt in every aspect of this trip! Even so, you are obviously getting weary and homesick from the sound of your posts....can't imagine what it's like to be waiting so long to bring your precious children home. Press on and persevere! God's strength will carry you through. I giggled when you asked about tips about helping the kids mind, etc... I can bore you with some of the stuff we have done when you get home. Also, in my opinion, I would NOT get a double stroller, but instead get a single with a step on it. I got a really nice double when my kids were basically the exact ages as yours and I regretted it. My 3 and 4 year olds didn't want to sit strapped in! They wanted to walk beside me but also be able to jump on the little step to "ride" standing up when they got tired. This is just my opinion. Hope this post isn't too long....not sure what the ettiquite is on blogging. I've never done it before! Have a great day!! Janna
I'll pray that you get your court date tonight, 2 weeks at $140/night would make me physically ill. Actually those kiddos are pretty darn cute and look to be worth every cent.
John, don't be bummed but you missed the first night of Dancing with the Stars. I know, I know, you forgot to set Tivo and I feel badly for you. Just know that Cloris Leachman was not very good and she cussed when she got her scores.
That's all the news worth printin'.
We're enjoying your journey, keep giving it us.
David, I'm past the physically ill phase and now just physically numb about it. If we don't get things moving along soon we may invoke Plan B, which we discussed last night (hint, we're both real homesick). More info to come after we talk to Marina today.
Post a Comment