Thursday, September 18, 2008

Indoors=good, outdoors=bad

After a tiring, painful and stressful 45 minute outdoor visit yesterday, we played indoors today even though it wasn't raining yet (was supposed to, but still hasn't). We decided that indoors, at least while at the orphanage, is definitely the way to go for playtime. We ALL actually had a great time, except for some of the orphanage workers who use part of the playroom for a conference room on a regular basis...I still don't get that. How can you expect kids to be quiet in a big playroom? I reckon they just don't have any other meeting space, oh well.

Anyway, we had another grand day playing indoors, although it was a bit stuffy till I requested that we turn on the A/C unit. See photos for a sample of the fun:

We discovered the ballpit is a great way for kids to build their abs. It's also good for bonding, because both kids kept asking for help to get out, it became a bit of a parental dependency game...plus it was fun!









Ira really likes the slide as well.

Oksana (below) is our primary contact at the orphanage, she's great with the kids.









Ira has expressed great interest in the piano, and at the end of each indoor session, Jo plays a little and has a little piano lesson. It's usually all over when Maksim or any boy arrives, because they just want to pound on the keys, which Jo is showing Maks below to be a "no-no".
We've talked about Jo starting to give piano lessons again when we get back home, but we haven't figured out how that could work with toddlers running about.





I recorded the following video clip on Monday, demonstrating Ira's musical bent. I don't know what she's singing (Tim, can you translate?), but she sings the same song when I push her on the swing too...it's so CUTE!! :)

4 comments:

Kristy said...

Cute...oh yea, we were supposed to learn new words other than cute :(

I don't understand her either, but that is great that she is interested in music. Will give you that bond.

Friends from our old church get their little girl next Tuesday from Korea. They ended up not having to travel over there though and will meet the Isabella in Chicago.

Glad things are continuing to go along in your favor. Our prayers are with you...

Kristy

Anonymous said...

OH WOW!
OK, I have to confess, it took me this long to get hooked up on gmail etc. Have been praying for you though... So today I have read ALL the posts.

WOW.
I am really encouraged by what God is doing! (even though we don't know for positive what that is...). And to think this is not even the beginning, just the segue.

Your faith is amazing, guys. Take care of yourselves, I'm glad you're keeping a reasonable pace. I will be praying for John's back. BTW, a very close friend of ours from Ohio spent 2 years in Donetsk on mission. I'll forward your info, she'll be thrilled. She was my secretary at our last church, and Heather and our kids used to babysit their little boy.

OK, finally, one idea for the "parental control" issue. I like your use of incentives to get them to work with you. You're absolutely right that without having control over the environment and all the conditions, you can't really be in charge. When you get home, the training begins. So one goal now that I would have would be to reduce the opportunities for them to "disobey" and get used to that, and the bribery and other tricks is a good strategy. It's what I would do with one of my young neices if I had no authority.

Anyhow, hang in there and know we are praying!

Dave M.

Fawn Brents said...

Love the video! She does have musical talent. --Praying for you, Charlie and Fawn

Tim Hange said...

Yeah for ball pits! It was what broke down the barriers with Stasia and Evan as well! Tim played a great game where he threw the ball at the kids and then when they threw it back he pretended to duck and get "hurt" howling like a crazy person! The kids would smile tentatively...and then smirk...and finally laugh out loud. It was a great game! I'm glad that you have the indoor play place....we used that a lot on our trips. It definitely makes it easier to control the behavior...and the more you get to know them and they start to feel comfortable with you, the easier the obedience training will be when they are officially yours. I know it may seem HUGE, but God will walk with you....He is already giving you glimpses of the great things He has in store. Thanks for keeping us posted and we are praying daily for God to work out the paperwork process quickly! Can't wait to have you back home so we can help in so many ways! Karen