Monday, November 17, 2008

First full day home as a family

I'd like to start this post by saying that I have no idea how adoptive parents can continue blogging after they arrive home with the kids. It's 2am Monday morning, and I've had the first 4 hours of contiguous non-interrupted sleep since we got home.

I have lots of pictures to post from the airport up to now, but I don't have time to load them just yet...I've GOT to get some sleep. As we constantly tell the kids, "UdNOO minUtoo," just a minute! I also won't make a long post other than to say we are safely home and hoping to settle into a routine rhythm of daily life so everything isn't so new to the kids. Frankly they have adjusted far better than I'd expected as far as remorse or separation anxiety from their various caregivers, I've seen none of that. Instead, with the vast host of friends and family that outpoured their time, food and gifts for the kids, I'm afraid that the kids look at life in America as Christmas morning every day!

I'm going to finish this quick post by thanking various folks who've helped amazingly in the last few days:

First off is Tim Hange, whose help we could not have survived without. Especially the 10-hour plane ride from Warsaw to Chicago. His help coming to meet us in Kiev and help us back was a huge blessing. Apparently the limit of a toddler's patience on any given airline flight is 4 hours, after that it's a LOT of work and angst for all on board the aircraft.

I'd also like to thank Tim's wife Karen, who came and picked us up at the airport at last-minute's notice. Terry Wells was here at the house entertaining my folks and ready to come pick us up, and then suddenly got very ill...please pray for his recovery, although he dropped by yesterday and looked to be feeling better. Thanks Terry for being there though.

Thanks to everyone who donated clothes and toys, especially my parents who met us at the airport Saturday night and didn't stop spoiling the kids till they left yesterday...they are going to be GREAT grandparents. Oh, and thanks mom for making me bawl like a baby at the airport when you hugged your new grandkids and started crying, I hope we didn't get that on tape. :0)

Finally (for now), thanks to all the folks who brought meals for us to eat the next few days, we are truly blessed by having so many folks willing to help out.

We'll post pictures and more details later, but for now...WE'RE FINALLY HOME!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Welcome home! I know you are happy to be back in the US with your little ones. You have been in my thoughts and prayers for the past many weeks. Please let me know if you need any help in the upcoming days/weeks. Love ya! Judy

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah! 3 more reasons for me to come "home" to KC. John & Jo, I'm SO looking forward to seeing you and your "kids". Awesome, simply awesome. I'll continue to pray during this transition time. Congrats to all! Love ya, miss ya. Rich in NorCal

Unknown said...

Welcome HOME. And what a Thanksgiving this is. When do you need us to:

1) Paint
2) Babysit (not for a while, but once settled they will love playing Star Wars with Indy)
3) Clean
4) Cook (OK, so I can't cook, but Stouffer's can)

Consider this your coupon to redeem as you wake up.

Glad to see you home safely. The time of the year is perfect. God bless you all.